Origin: a Latin derivative
meaning "Gift of the Earth."
At doTERRA we encourage all employees to seek out opportunities that will expand their skill set. We strive to help achieve personal career goals by providing opportunities of growth and movement throughout the company.
Job Description: Explores, formulates, tests, analyzes, and documents doTERRA natural raw materials and essential oil products to build safe, effective, compliant, stable, well-characterized, high-quality products with desired aroma, color, and taste profile through a combination of collaborative and independent laboratory and computer based work.
- Ideate and develop new essential oil products, including single oils and blends used for aromatic, topical, or internal use, as well as functional and fragrant essential oil blends used in personal care, nutrition, and household cleaning products.
- Collaborate inter-departmentally to carry a product from ideation to commercialization as the project owner; coordinate with project management to meet deadlines
- Submit samples to doTERRA analytical laboratories for physical, chemical, and stability testing; organize, analyze, report and communicate results
- Determine raw material specification parameters through testing, data analysis, statistics, literature review, and route specifications for approval
- Work with multiple teams to ensure all doTERRA essential oil products and labels comply with applicable safety constraints and market regulations
- Provide technical support for Marketing, Sourcing, Manufacturing, QA/QC, Regulatory, other departments, and ingredient supplier partners
- Address essential oil questions in a professional manner
- Devise inter-departmental meeting agendas, track committee action items, and keep committees to task
- Develop and improve systems for managing complex records and data
- Gain expertise in essential oil chemistry, safety, and use
- Work with essential oil sourcing partners to understand the role of crop variety, environmental conditions, cultivation practices, and distillation/extraction procedures that influence oil chemistry, safety, benefits, and sustainability
- Test solubility and scale-up of unique natural raw materials
- Design and conduct in vitro and clinical studies in collaboration with our analytical research laboratory, university partners, Personal Care, Nutrition, or Clinical Research teams to test and demonstrate the safety and efficacy of essential oil products
- Write research and development reports and PowerPoints for internal or external publication or presentation
- Maintain training in GMPs, GLPs, and Organoleptic evaluation
- Attend scientific conferences, trade shows, and industry meetings as applicable
- Carry out laboratory experiments as needed
- Provide training and feedback to junior scientists in R&D
- Perform other responsibilities as directed
- Master’s degree in chemistry, food science, or related field plus 2-5 years industry/laboratory experience required, OR Ph.D. in related field (preferably with at least 1-year industry experience)
- Experience in research and development of essential oils or other plant extracts or natural products, especially in plant extraction and chemical analysis/quantification
- Experience with GCMS and HPLC
- Experience with solubility testing
- Ability to manage large, complex data sets
- Knowledge of statistics
- Experience with in-depth scientific literature review
- Experience in writing and publishing scientific abstracts and full-length publications
- Ability to communicate effectively, especially through writing and presentation
- Excellent organizational, analytical, and teamwork skills
- Attention to detail and a sense of urgency
- Self-starter with the ability to work with minimal supervision in identifying research that needs to be completed
- Ability to manage multiple ongoing projects concurrently and meet deadlines
- Awareness of quality assurance and quality control industry practices as well as practical knowledge of Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs) and other relevant industry regulations
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, especially Excel, Powerpoint, and Outlook
- Ability to smell and taste essential oils
- Existing knowledge of aromatic descriptors of essential oils preferred
- Existing knowledge of IFRA guidelines for fragrance safety preferred
- Experience with HRIPT testing preferred
- Existing knowledge of plant taxonomy, identification, and plant biosynthetic pathways preferred
- Prior experience with product formulation and raw material specification in the wellness industry preferred
We are currently accepting applications for this position.
|Function:||Research and Development|
doTERRA International, LLC. is committed to employing a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, protected veteran status, or disability.