Origin: a Latin derivative
meaning "Gift of the Earth."
At doTERRA we encourage all employees to seek out opportunities that will expand their skill set. We strive to help achieve personal career goals by providing opportunities of growth and movement throughout the company.
Job Title: Scientist, Nutraceuticals
Department: Research & Development
Reports to: Nutraceuticals Managing Scientist
Job Description: This position is primarily responsible for the technical aspects of product development for doTERRA’s line of dietary supplements and functional foods internationally to help fulfill overall business objectives and strategies.
- Formulation development: Works closely with doTERRA’s R&D staff to create new and improved nutraceutical product formulations for markets around the world, with emphasis on quality, manufacturability, cost and organoleptic attributes. Development work may include hard-shell and softgel capsules, tablets, chewable wafers, powdered beverage blends, nutritional bars and other dosage forms.
- Product Improvement: Work closely with doTERRA’s R&D staff and manufacturer to modify and improve existing products to be able to registered in International markets
- Raw ingredient sourcing: Keeps up-to-date with innovations in nutritional and botanical raw ingredients, networks extensively with raw ingredient suppliers, and maintains extensive raw ingredient files for possible application in existing and future doTERRA products.
- Nutraceutical delivery systems: Keeps up-to-date with the latest developments in delivery systems and determines best delivery systems for new and existing doTERRA products.
- Technology transfer: Closely works with doTERRA’s contract manufacturers to implement and trouble-shoot food and supplement formulations throughout the product development process.
- Attend conferences, expo and events to gain knowledge, maintain network relationships with experts in the field to keep up with current industry trends.
- Collaboration with Cross-functional teams: Work closely with Marketing, Regulatory, QA/QC to ensure to ensure all the requirements are met during new and existing product development.
- Maintain contact and good relationship with third party manufacturers and formulators in pilot runs, scaling up new product development and improving existing products and processes. Requires travel and/or oversight of team travel.
- Help managing scientist establish specifications, stability studies, maintaining doTERRA dietary supplements international products line, addressing formulation and ingredient issues.
- Responsible for all analytical testing required during product development, such as nutrient content and contaminant analyses, micro testing and stability studies. Helps interpret analytical testing results and stability studies, and able to trouble-shoot and address formulation issues as needed. Closely works with QC and QA to comply with GMPs during product development.
- Record keeping: Manages all formulation-related records as required by GMPs and company policies, including formulations, batch records, and test results.
- BS or MS degree in nutrition, food science, chemistry or closely related field
- 4-6+ years of commercial experience in the formulation of dietary supplement and functional foods, preferably involving a variety of dosage and product forms, including hard shell capsules, soft gel capsules, tablets, chewable wafer tablets, powdered drink mixes, granulations, nutrition bars; and preferably involving formulations for both domestic and international markets.
- Extensive experience and proven success in collaborating with nutraceutical contract manufacturers and testing laboratories to meet or exceed product requirements.
- Working knowledge of dietary supplement and functional food manufacturing and packaging techniques, Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs) as well as related quality protocols.
- Proven expertise in preparation and review of technically compliant dietary supplement and food labels.
- Extensively networked with raw ingredient suppliers, product development contract manufacturers, testing laboratories, flavor houses and related contacts.
- Working knowledge of chemistry and analytical chemistry.
- Formulation experience with predominantly natural and/or organic ingredients. Awareness of special product requirements, such as non-GMO, kosher, halal and vegan
- Attention to detail.
- Excellent computer and quantitative skills, including technical document management.
- Proven ability to work well in cross-functional teams responsible for developing, registering, manufacturing, and promoting nutraceutical products.
We are currently accepting applications for this position.
|Function:||Research and Development|
doTERRA International, LLC. is committed to employing a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, protected veteran status, or disability.